Preparing to face your addiction can be daunting. Whether due to alcohol, drugs, gambling, sex, exercise, or food, addiction can have a devastating impact on relationships, work, and mental health.
According to Alcohol Change, there are an estimated 586,000 dependent drinkers in England, but only 18% are receiving treatment.
Addiction Helper suggests the UK has the highest prevalence of drug misuse in Europe, with heroin and morphine being responsible for more than half of drug poisoning deaths. An estimated 350,000 people in the UK are battling a gambling addiction.
Thankfully, many amazing charities and organisations are working to support people battling addiction in the UK.
Whether you are ready to seek the support of a rehabilitation clinic or speak to someone anonymously about your dependency, there are plenty of options.
We created a comprehensive list of charities, resources, and luxury rehab clinics covering various types of addictions to help you get the support you need.
- Alcohol Change UK. A charity promoting a revised attitude towards alcohol, whereby people drink as a conscious choice. Visit website; Telephone: 020 3907 8480
- Action on Addiction. A dedicated UK addiction charity working across all areas of treatment, research, family support, and professional education. Visit website; Telephone: 0300 330 0659
- A UK and drug alcohol charity operating in the North and the Midlands. Visit website; Telephone: 0161 831 2400
- Drinkaware. An independent charity working to reduce alcohol misuse and harm in the UK. Visit website; Telephone: 020 7766 9900
- Addaction. Free, confidential support for people experiencing issues with drugs, alcohol mental health. Visit website.
- Alcoholics Anonymous. Supporting people on their recovery from alcoholism. Visit website.
- Narcotics Anonymous – A non-profit fellowship or society of men and women battling drug addiction. Visit website; Telephone: 0800 9177 650
- Sex and Love Addicts Anonymous. A twelve-step programme based on the model of Alcoholics Anonymous. Visit website.
- Turning Point – A social enterprise providing drug and alcohol, mental health, learning disability, employment and primary care services. Visit website.
- NHS Live Well – Advice, tips, and tools from the National Health Service to help make positive choices about health and wellbeing. Visit website.
- Talk to Frank – A resource for information about drugs. Visit website; Tel: 0300 1236600
- Gamblers Anonymous – A fellowship of men and women who have joined together to help others tackle their gambling addiction. Visit website.
- GamCare – A provider of information, advice, and support for those affected by problem gambling. Operator of the National Gambling Helpline. Visit website; Telephone: 0808 8020 133
- Executive Rehab Guide – Residential alcohol rehabilitation centres treating those with alcohol, drug, gambling and behavioural addictions, as well as post-traumatic dress disorder, eating disorders, depression and anxiety throughout the UK. Visit website. Address: Blyth Bridge, West Linton, Peeblesshire, Scotland, UK, EH46 7DH. Telephone: 0808 273 1329
Alcohol rehabilitation centres
- Castle Craig – Residential alcohol rehabilitation centres treating those with alcohol, drug, gambling and behavioural addictions, as well as post-traumatic dress disorder, eating disorders, depression and anxiety throughout the UK. Learn more. Address: Blyth Bridge, West Linton, Peeblesshire, Scotland, UK, EH46 7DH. Telephone: 0808 273 1329
- The Bridge Retreat – A residential programme for those struggling with destructive behaviours, anxiety, depression, negative thought patterns, helping through education, group sharing, bodywork, visualisation meditation, and individual reflective sessions. Learn more.
- Addcounsel – Provides pioneering ‘one client at a time’ treatment for those battling addiction and mental health disorders. Dedicated one-to-one treatment in an individual setting. Visit website. Address: 28 Grosvenor Street, Mayfair, London, W1K 4QR. Telephone: 020 3709 3968
- Charterhouse Clinic Flore – A fully residential rehabilitation centre in Northampton offering luxury rehab services through behavioural, health and wellbeing therapies. Read more. Address: The Avenue, Flore, Northamptonshire, NN7 4LZ. Telephone: 0808 123 0222